If your business involves the sale of alcohol, public entertainment or late night refreshment, it is vital you are aware of your licensing responsibilities.
Our team offer a comprehensive service which includes advice on the correct form or licence application required for submission to the local authority. We can prepare and submit your application, appear before the Licensing Committee on your behalf and deal with any subsequent refusals, appeals and resubmissions, where necessary.
This service applies to the application for a new or variation of an existing licence in connection with:
- Alcohol license
- Entertainment licenses
John Howe will be the Solicitor providing assistance in respect of licensing and he has undertaken licensing applications for the past 30 years. His costs are based on a time spent basis at a rate if £280 per hour. ~~Each case could be regarded as unique however in order to assist we can confirm as a guide the following :
- Simple application: £1,200 - £1,800 plus VAT (based on 4-6 hours at an hourly rate of £280.00)
- Medium complexity: £1,800- £2,400 plus VAT (based on 7-9 hours at an hourly rate of £280.00)
- High complexity: £2,800 upwards (based on a minimum of 10 hours at an hourly rate of £280).
You would need to set out some factors to help businesses determine whether their application for a premises licence is likely to be a simple application or one of medium or high complexity. Factors affecting complexity may include whether there is a cumulative impact policy in place, the type and size of the premises, or whether it is in a residential area. It is for you to decide how you define simple, medium and high complexity, but for example, high complexity could include large scale public events.
- Our services would include:
- taking client's instructions
- advising them as to how they can promote the licensing objectives within their premises licence application
- advising on the type of plans required to accompany their application
- completing and submitting the application
- disclosing the application to the responsible authorities
- making arrangements for the necessary advertising of the application and the preparation of the relevant notices to be affixed to the Premises.
- Our costs are not inclusive of any disbursements and the application fee and advertising costs would all be separate chargeable items but these will be pointed out to you prior to the need to incur the disbursements being reached.
Matters usually take 6-8 weeks from receipt of full instructions from you. This is on the basis of the application being relatively straightforward and you being able to provide all the necessary documents promptly. If your matter is more complex, for example, if there is substantial opposition from interested parties, or if there is a delay in receiving the documents we need, it may take longer.